The Shoah Memorial in Drancy

110-112 avenue Jean-Jaurès
93700 Drancy
tél : 01 42 77 44 72
contact@memorialdelashoah.org
www.memorialdelashoah.org
Free entrance

Opening hours

From Sunday to Thursday, from 10 am to 6 pm.
Closed on Fridays and Saturdays, during the month of August, 1st May, 14th July, from 27th December to 2nd January and some Jewish holidays : April 29, 2016, June 12, 2016

How to get there ?

By public transport
Métro line 5 to “Bobigny – Pablo Picasso” station then bus 251to the stop “Place du 19 mars 1962”.
RER B city train to “Le Bourget” station then bus 143 to the stop “Square de la Libération”.
Bus 143 and 703 stop “Square de la Libération”.
Bus 151, 251, 684 and 551 stop “Place du 19 mars 1962”.
By car
Parking du marché.
Autolib station : 105, avenue Jean-Jaurès.

Paris-Drancy buses

Every Sunday until July 28th.
2 pm: departure from the Shoah Memorial, 17 rue Geoffroy-l’Asnier, 75004 Paris. Arrival in Drancy at 2:45/3 pm.
5 pm: departure to the Shoah Memorial in Paris.
Free, subject to availability.

Guided visits

Every Sunday at 3 pm until the 23rd December included, in French.
Free, no reservation required.
Free audioguided visits in French and in English.

Group activities

Guided visits :
Price : 75€ / Booking essential
School session : 39€ / Booking essential
Tél. : 01 53 01 18 01
education@memorialdelashoah.org

Training sessions :
Tel.: 01 53 01 17 54
formations@memorialdelashoah.org

Presentation

The Shoah Memorial in Drancy

70 years after the start of the deportation of the Jews of France towards nazi extermination camps, the Shoah Memorial inaugurated in September 2012 at Drancy, a new space destined for the history and education of the period, opposite the Cité de la Muette. The project came about on the initiative and thanks to the financial support of the Foundation for the Memory of the Shoah. The center’s mission is to present the history of the Drancy camp.

From the Cité de la Muette to the internment camp

Built as a collective living space in the 1930s but never finished, the Cité de la Muette became an internment camp in 1941, and then in 1942 a regroupment camp for the Jews of France in preparation for their deportation towards extermination camps. Between March, 1942, and August, 1944, approximately 63,000 of the 76,000 Jews deported from France went through Drancy. The Cité de la Muette was once again inhabited after 1948, and since then has been reminded of the history of the Drancy camp there: with commemorative plaques, the erection of a memorial monument and in 2001, when the buildings were officially classed as historical monuments.

A sober architecture

The memorial which has been constructed on a stretch of land graciously donated by the municipality of Drancy, was designed by the Swiss architect Roger Diener as a building that should be sober and dignified. The result is respectful of the site and urban environment, offering the visitor a panoramic view onto the Cité de la Muette. It is made up of 5 levels: a conference room in the basement, reception spaces on the ground floor, educational rooms in which to receive groups, and a documentation center. A permanent exhibition, to which the filmmakers Patrick Rotman and Dephine Gleize have contributed, retraces the history and function of the camp as well as the daily lives of those interned there.

A complementary place

The Shoah Memorial at Drancy complements the Shoah Memorial in Paris.  It is a place for mediation between the site of the former camp and the visitors, a place of history and of transmission, and opened on September 2012. It will allow students as well as the general public to learn more about the history of the Cité de la Muette, and most notably the central role of the Drancy camp in the exclusion of the Jews of France during the Second World War and in the implementation of the final solution by the Nazis with the complicity of the Vichy government.

The Shoah Memorial in Drancy is part of a memory lane of the main placesof the Second World War in Ile-de-France.